the tomato growers
the Bridge Garden is now growing its own tomatoes!
Come to our garden and meet our new tomato plants! Here at The Bridge, we love our fruit and veg, so we thought why not grow our own.
Our tomatoes plants are bursting with personality and we've given some of them their very own names. So meet Cecil and her younger sister Tabitha, who live in The Bridge Garden behind our café.
We are very happy with their progress and hope with more TLC they'll grow some lovely juicy tomatoes.
have we inspired you to try to grow your own fruit and veg?
Here are The Bridge tips for growing vegetables in a pot:
- get a generous-size container, good potting soil and a suitable spot or corner that gets at least six hours of full sun a day
- soil in pots warms up quicker in spring than in the ground so this is the perfect condition to get your tomato or veg growing quickly
- when watering your vegetables in containers, it's best to try to water them every day but do not drown the plant in water, just enough for the soil to stay moist. You should never let the soil dry out completely.
- if you're growing tomatoes, don't let them 'go wild'. Tie them to bamboo stakes and pick out any shoots that appear between the stem and the leaves or you'll end up with a jungle
- you should harvest your vegetables when they ripen, for example with tomatoes, you should pick the crop when they are fully coloured (red, orange and yellow)
- and finally enjoy your lovely fresh home-grown vegetables!
where can you find our tomato plants?
Come and visit our cafe at 73-81 Southwark Bridge Road, SE1 0NQ and look for the side door into our garden space.
The tomatoes have shot up and transformed the space into a little green haven for you to enjoy while you sip your coffee.